Business | Daily | Tourist

Forty years ago on August 19, U.S. Ambassador to Cyprus Rodger Davies was murdered in Nicosia. Harris Evangelides witnessed the killing. His recent article that appeared in Cypriot media appears below, translated from the original Greek.

NICOSIA – In the 40 years that have passed since the murder of U.S. Ambassador to Cyprus Rodger Davies, a great deal of wildly inaccurate information has been written. Some is attributed to morbid imagination, other to a concerted effort to distort the truth. This article, then, serves to present the facts as they really happened.

Unlike others, I was actually there and saw Amb. Davies and [Embassy secretary] Antoinette Varnavas fatally shot. In fact, my hand was injured by a stray bullet; I could have been killed, too…
The biggest lie written about all of this, is that Davies and Varnavas were killed by people inside the Embassy. I was there. I know that the shots were fired from outside, from a building under construction, amid mass demonstrations occurring at the time.

There was a big protest outside the American Embassy. Angry protesters threw stones at the building, resulting in many broken windows. Cars were set on fire outside. Amb. Davies was urged to be moved to a special room, but he wanted to protect those around him, including Varnavas, two others, and me. He moved us to a hallway which he thought, with its four walls, would shield us…
Suddenly, we heard gunfire. Ambassador Davies was hit, and fell to the ground, we rushed down to the ground with him, opened his shirt, and realized he had been hit in the heart. The bullets entered through a window – we all thought the four walls could protect us, but none of us kept the window in mind…

Eddie Edwards, one of those in the room, asked for a stretcher, but no one in the other rooms of the Embassy could here, amid the loud exterior noises of the cars set ablaze. I asked Varnavas to get a stretcher and, at the same time, began to rise to get it myself. A bullet struck her in the head, and she fell on top of me – she died instantly.
Amb. Davies was still alive. Shortly thereafter, President Glafcos Clerides arrived, and the ambassador was taken to the hospital, where he died shortly thereafter.

This is what really happened. Everything else is fiction, designed to suit different agendas better left unmentioned.

I will add the following: I gave two depositions about what happened: one to the police department, the second to the Embassy. Mysteriously, both were somehow lost…

When Archbishop Makarios arrived to Cyprus a few months later, he asked me to relay the details, and I told him, too.

I do not know who fired those fatal shots, but I do know they could have only come from one place: from outside, from that building under construction. Not from inside the Embassy.



The post Eyewitness Discloses How Cyprus Amb. Was Murdered 40 Years Ago appeared first on The National Herald.

Source: The National Herald
Share it now!
Who We Are

GQS acts as an “information representative” providing a variety of accurate and authoritative analytics and responses About Greece. Our field of expertise ranges from simple Daily Life questions related to Tourism or the History of Greece, up to large Business related projects such as Economic Research, Human Resources Selection or Real Estate Services.

Find out more

Contact Us

Are you interested in obtaining any kind of information about Greece?

Let us help you!

If your requirements go beyond simple services and you want specialized information, you will receive a detailed email for any charges.

  • Weather

    August 20, 2019, 9:06 pm
    real feel: 26°C
    current pressure: 1020 mb
    humidity: 30%
    wind speed: 4 m/s N
    wind gusts: 4 m/s
    UV-Index: 0
    sunrise: 6:44 am
    sunset: 8:12 pm
  • Currency