The children of the community of the Dormition Greek Orthodox Church of Burlington, Vermont, seen here in the photograph, perform in front of the public at the annual event held on July 27, 2014.
Coached by Tammy Valadakis, the children performed traditional Greek dances in front of some of the hundreds of locals who turned up for the state’s only Greek festival.
There is a rich and interesting history about the Greek Orthodox Community in Burlington. According to the Church’s website:”In 1905, Services such as Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals and the Divine Liturgy were held in people’s homes. These services were officiated by neighboring Orthodox clergy.
“As we began to grow, Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, which at that time was located at Saint Paul and Bank Street, demonstrated great generosity by making its facilities available. The first priest to serve the spiritual needs of our Parish on a regular basis was Father Nicholas Salamis of Montreal, Canada, who commuted to Burlington to hold services at Saint Paul’ Cathedral.
“For several decades, the Burlington Orthodox faithful held services at Saint Paul’s until we moved to our present location in 1958.Our present church was built in 1914 by LC Clark as a memorial to his wife Marian. The church was named All-Saints Episcopal Chapel and had been donated by Clark to the Episcopal Diocese of Vermont. The chapel was used once a year by St. Paul’s.
“Between 1958 and 1961, our community rented the All-Saints Episcopal Chapel for the symbolic gesture of $1 a year. In 1961, our community purchased the All-Saints Chapel. On May 29, 1966, His Eminence Archbishop Iakovos presided at the official opening of the church it also received the name “The Dormition of the Mother of God” on that day. Father Alex Fasoulas served as the first full-time priest of the Parish 1958 – 1963.
“On the eve of Palm Sunday, April 23, 1967 the interior of the church went up in flames. Thanks again to the generosity of our Episcopalian friends; we were able to use the new All-Saints Chapel on the corner of Spear and Swift Streets in South Burlington, for our church services until we could rebuild the destroyed interior of our own church a year later.
“As the decades passed, we decided to build an addition to this church. In 1985, we built the Community Center, which is directly connected, to the Church. We use the Community Center for not only our Sunday Fellowship hour, but also receptions, meetings, educational programs and other functions. In 2002, we enlarged and modernized the kitchen.”As the new generation dances on, the reconstructed church gets ready to celebrate it’s 30th anniversary next year.
The post Hellenic Dancing in Vermont appeared first on The National Herald.
Source: The National Herald
Share it now!